Performing musical works live or playing recorded music
1. Can teachers and students play or perform music in the classroom for education purposes?
2. Can we play recorded music over the school’s PA system?
3. Are our students allowed to perform at the following events; school music festivals, eisteddfods, the Schools Spectacular?
4. Can we use recorded music in school performances and concerts?
5. Can we perform live music for a school performance or concert?
6. Can our school perform a couple of songs from a musical (for example, ‘Matilda’) at our end of year event?
7. Can a teacher play music from Spotify in the classroom?
8. Can a teacher play music from iTunes in the classroom?
Making audio or video recordings
1. Can we record students performing at school events?
2. Are parents allowed to film school events?
3. Can we provide students with copies of sound recordings to take home for study purposes?
4. Can students sample existing sound recordings to make their own recordings?
5. Can we use music on a commemorative school DVD?
6. Can we distribute or sell copies of a video made of a school event that incorporates music to students and their families?
7. Can we make copies of recorded music to play at school events?
8. Can we make copies of recorded music to play in class?
Copying Sheet Music
1. How many copies can be made from an original copy of sheet music under the AMCOS Licence?
2. Are we required to mark the copies made from the original sheet music?
3. Are we required to mark the original copy?
4. Are private music teachers able to use copies of sheet music made under the AMCOS licence where the tuition is on the school premises?
5. Can we loan copies of sheet music made under the AMCOS Licence to another school?
6. Can we make copies of sheet music that we have hired or borrowed?
7. Can I incorporate a piece of sheet music into an exam paper?
8. We have made the permitted number of copies, but a student has lost their copy – can we make another copy?
9. Can I provide student access to digital sheet music on our school’s DTE?
1. Can I make copies of song lyrics on their own to hand out to my class?
1. Can I re-arrange a piece of music for a classroom exercise?
1. Our school band is planning to play its own “cover” versions of famous songs at a school concert. Can we make and distribute a CD of their performance to raise funds for the school?
Copying Music from the Radio
1. Can I record music and from the radio and play it for my students in the classroom.
1. Can I copy a song from iTunes, Spotify or Apple Music on to the School’s DTE for students to download and/or listen?
2. Can I copy and play sound recordings as part of a music exam?
3. We hire our school hall out to a private dance school. Do they need a licence from PPCA to play sound recordings during class?
4. Can we make a recording of student’s performance using background music and upload it to social media and/or a school website?