Performing musical works live or playing recorded music
1. Can teachers and students play or perform music in the classroom for educational purposes?
2. Can we play recorded music over the school’s PA system?
3. Are our students allowed to perform at the following events; school music festivals, eisteddfods, the Schools Spectacular?
4. Can we use recorded music in school performances and concerts?
5. Can we perform live music for a school performance or concert?
6. Can our school perform a couple of songs from a musical (eg ‘Matilda The Musical’) at our end of year event?
7. Can a teacher play music from Spotify in the classroom?
Making, using and sharing audio or video recordings
8. Can we record students performing at school events?
9. Are parents/guardians/carers allowed to film school events?
10. Can we provide students with copies of sound recordings to use as part of a class?
11. Can we incorporate recorded music into another work, for example, a commemorative school DVD?
12. Can we sell copies of a video made of a school event that incorporates music to the school community (ie parents/guardians/friends)?
13. Can we provide copies of a recording of our school event to third parties, eg other schools or administering bodies?
14. Can we make copies of recorded music to play at school events?
15. Can we make copies of recorded music to play in class?
16. Can I copy a song from Spotify or Apple Music on to the school’s DTE for students to download and/or listen to?
17. Can I copy and play sound recordings as part of a music exam?
18. We hire our school hall out to a private dance school. Do they need a licence from PPCA to play sound recordings during class?
19. Can we make a recording of a school event or live stream a school event at which a sound recording (eg a popular song) is being played, and upload it to social media and/or a school website?
20. Our school event has been blocked/muted on social media, what can we do?
Copying Sheet Music
21. How many copies can be made from an original copy of sheet music under the Schools Music Licence?
23. What if our agreement to purchase sheet music for a choral work requires us to buy the number of copies we need (e.g. one copy per student)?
24. Can we scan copies of sheet music to digital form and upload to our School’s DTE?
25. Are we required to mark the original and any copies of sheet music?
26. Are private music teachers able to use copies of sheet music made under the
Schools Music Licence where the tuition is on the school premises?
27. Can we loan copies of sheet music made under the Schools Music Licence to another school?
28. Can we make copies of sheet music that we have hired or borrowed?
29. Can I incorporate a piece of sheet music into an exam paper?
30. Can I provide student access to digital sheet music on our school’s DTE?
31. Can I make copies of song lyrics on their own to hand out to my class?
32. Can I re-arrange a piece of music for a classroom exercise?
Copying Music from the Radio
33. Can I record music from the radio and play it for my students in the classroom.
Updated 8 March 2022