Copyright Basics

Statutory and voluntary licences

Updated 16 March 2022

The Copyright Act sets out two licences that govern the copying and communication of copyright works by schools and TAFE, the Statutory Text and Artistic Works Licence and the Statutory Broadcast Licence.

Educational institutions can also enter voluntary licences with the various collecting societies, who collect royalties on behalf of their copyright owner members. Schools have entered into a voluntary licence with the music collecting societies, APRA AMCOS and ARIA.

The statutory and voluntary licences are administered by collecting societies on behalf of copyright owners.

For more information see Educational Licences.