Creative Commons Licensed Music and Alternative Music Licences for Non-Educational Purposes of TAFEs

Creative Commons Licensed Music and Alternative Music Licences for Non-Educational Purposes of TAFEs

Generally, when TAFEs want to play music for non-educational purposes they will need to take out a licence from OneMusic. However, there may be instances where TAFEs can use alternative sources of music such as:

Music licensed under Creative Commons is free whereas alternative music licences to those offered by OneMusic are much cheaper than those offered by the music collecting societies.

Free music available under Creative Commons licences

TAFEs can use Creative Commons licensed music free of charge provided you comply with the terms of the licence. The minimum requirement of the Creative Commons licences is attribution – that is, acknowledging the copyright owner and creator when you use a copy of their work.  See the Creative Commons for Educators Information Pack for further information on Creative Commons licences.

Set out below are websites where you can search for Creative Commons licensed music

Vimeo Online community with option to search for CC content
SoundCloud Online sharing platform with option to filter search results for CC content
Jamendo CC music distribution site
CcMixter CC sound remix tool and archive
Magnatune CC record label
CCHits Collaborative podcast where users can contribute, find, and share music under CC licences
Freesound Collaborative database of sounds
SoundTransit Archive of “field recordings” from various locations around the world published under a CC Attribution licence
Kompoz Online artists community collaboration
Musopen Open classical music/jazz and sheet music
iBeat Free beats, loops and breaks samples
CC Trax Directory of free music
AudionautiX Free production music
FMA Free collection of audio works
Purple Planet Music for online videos
Incompetech Selection of music which you can search by genre or feel
Bump Foot Collection of techno, trance beats and electronic dance music

Alternative music licences to those offered by OneMusic

Some copyright owners offer an alternative and cheaper licence than those offered by OneMusic.  These licences are offered as a cheaper alternative since they do not require either or both of the music collecting societies that are part of OneMusic (APRA and PPCA). If you have any questions on the music licences your TAFE requires, please contact your CAG TAFE representative or the National Copyright Unit.

Set out below are examples of alternative music licences to those offered by OneMusic that can be utilised by TAFE institutes, fitness centres and cafes and restaurants

Audio Network Online store for direct licenced sound recordings
Visual Sounds Music on hold, restaurants/cafes, fitness centres and background music
Music on Hold Music on hold
AKM Music Music on hold
Pond5 Music on hold
Bensound Music on hold
Power Music Fitness centre music